Monday, July 1, 2013

Telling Grandpa Knutson : )

So, the Wetterling's found out on vacation.  Next person to tell--my Dad!  Mike and I originally wanted to tell Dad when we picked up Bailey after vacation.  However, that Sunday we were both so unbelievably tired that all we wanted to do was get the dog and get home.  Of course, I like to tell people in a fun, creative way and my creativity juices were LOW after our long vacation.  Instead, I came up with a new plan.  For taking care of Bailey, I would ask Dad to come over to our house today and we would take him out for supper.  That was all true--I did want to pay him back for taking care of Bailey with a nice meal, BUT there was going to be another surprise..!
Dad came to our house around 6:00.  We sat down, watched a little TV, and chatted.  We decided that we would go out to eat at Knotty Pine in Elbow Lake.  Well, right before getting up to go, I told Dad that he better sit back down, because I had something to give him.  
I had this announcement printed off as an 8X10 and framed.  I handed it to Dad.  He was quiet for a few moments, then smiled, and said something like, "Oh, jeeze!"  He laughed a little and congratulated us, saying what good news it was!  We went on to explain the story a bit more-- when we found out, etc.  He teared up quite a bit as we told the story.  He said he had been wondering ever since I had posted a picture of Bailey on Facebook prior to Moondance and commented something about "Bailey staying with Grandpa."  Well, that had NOTHING to do with us knowing about this pregnancy, but I thought it was funny that he had that idea in his head. He was excited!  

Telling Dad really made me wish I could also be telling Mom.  Actually one of the very first things that ran through my head after seeing the positive pregnancy test was Mom--how excited she would have been to be a Grandma and how lucky this baby would have been to have a Grandma like her!  I know she is up in heaven and knows what is going on and will be able to watch me throughout this pregnancy and watch baby from heaven--so she is really not missing out on anything--but those of us still here on Earth certainly are missing out when she is not able to be here experiencing these things with us.  I can tell you right now that this baby will know who his/her Grandma Knutson was.  We won't be able to go Trick-or-Treating to Grandmas or bake cookies with Grandma, but this child will know what an amazing person his or her Grandma was.   



No comments:

Post a Comment