- is the size of a pumpkin: 18.9 to 20.9 inches long and weighs about 6.2 to 9.2 pounds. His head is now about the same circumference as his abdomen.
- may have about an inch or so of hair already.
- is slowly shedding that white goo on her skin (called vernix caseosa) but you might see some of it at birth.
![]() |
| 38 weeks 2/23/14 |
At 39 Weeks Baby
- is the size of a watermelon: Baby keeps growing, despite being so crowded in there. He probably weighs around 6.2 to 9.2 pounds and measures about 18.9 to 20.9 inches.
- is probably able to flex his limbs now.
- has a brain that is still rapidly developing -- he's getting smarter by the week!
- has nails that may extend past his fingertips.
Somehow week 38 and week 39 sort of merged into one another....probably because I haven't felt the best throughout these weeks. Some days were definitely better than others, but overall these have been the roughest weeks thus far!
I had a doctor appointment on February 19. We didn't gain a ton of information. He said we were at a good point and whenever Baby decided to come, it would be fine. There was still no dilation. When I asked him if I would last another week, he didn't know. Due to my healthy pregnancy and previous health, etc, he said he wouldn't be surprised if I was 4 or 5 days overdue....but on the other hand, he also joked that he was on call for the weekend and wouldn't mind if I was there to keep him company. So, the guessing game continued.
Last weekend was when I really started feeling icky. I really thought Baby was going to come, because my stomach was almost flu-like and crampy for several days. After feeling that way for several days, I wondered how in the world I was going to get through another week of work?! Well, Monday and Tuesday I felt similar AND that Monday--on top of feeling awful--I hit a deer on the way home from work!!!! I'm surprised THAT didn't put me into labor...even though I was driving slow and it didn't do a lot of damage...it scared me pretty badly! I had never hit a deer before!
After all of that excitement, I actually felt pretty good Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday after school I had a burst of energy and was buzzing around actually accomplishing quite a bit! It was GREAT!
By the time I made it through Wednesday, I was determined to make it through Friday. Friday was going to be my last day of teaching/work. It was a bittersweet day. I was thrilled that I made it to this date without my water breaking at school! THAT was one of my biggest worries all along. I was also somewhat relieved to know I was going to get a little break. The last 3 weeks or so were tough. It takes A LOT of energy to keep up with 1st graders and I was running pretty low on energy. The low energy combined with the overall discomfort of having a huge belly made for some LONG days. On the other hand, I LOVE my job and kids and much like the end of the school year, I was really sad at the end of the day. The kids were too. Some of them admitted that they didn't want me to have my baby. : ( I hate saying goodbye to the kids and my co-workers. Also, although I've spent months preparing for my sub, Friday after school, I was sort of stressing out and thinking of all of these other things I should prepare or do before leaving. I was at school past 6:00 and as I walked out the door, my head was spinning. I know my class and kids will be fine, but it was hard to walk out the door knowing that my job was over for a few months. I take my job very seriously and such a big part of me is being a teacher. I know once Baby comes, school will be put into the back of my head, but until then, I'll probably still be thinking of school and wondering if I should have continued to work longer or not.
Friday I was supposed to have a doctor's appointment at 4:00. Well, Thursday the receptionist called and said that the doctor had to leave early and wouldn't be able to keep his appointment. They rescheduled me for 2:50 on Friday! Well, that was NOT going to work. I wasn't going to leave early on my last day of teaching. I called and they rescheduled me for Monday at 8:45. If I make it that far, we'll see what doctor has to say then!
Friday and Saturday I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose! I am REALLY hoping that it is just a small cold or at least a very short-lived cold. I DO NOT WANT TO BE SICK DURING LABOR! I've been eating and drinking vitamin c like crazy! Hopefully that combined with some rest will knock this cold out of me before Baby decides to come.
Speaking of that...I MADE IT TO MARCH 1ST!! Baby is officially due!! Now the big question...when will he actually decide to come?!?!

Congratulation on the birth of Riley :)
ReplyDelete