Saturday, March 22, 2014

Two Weeks Old (March 16-22)

 2 Weeks Old




It is hard to believe our little guy has been home with us for two weeks! We began his second week by taking him to his first church service! Daddy was a little nervous about this, but Riley did an amazing job-- only a few soft whimpers throughout the entire service! The pastor announced his birth and there was a special blue flower in front of church for him.

In front of church by his flower

Sleeping through church : )
Sunday marked another first for Riley (and Mommy)! On the way home from church, Tracey called to let me know that KMart in Fergus was closing at 3 and that the entire store would be 90% off!! How could I pass that kind of sale up? Dad, Dick, and Linda were on their way over to our house to watch the Nascar race, so Linda and I went into Fergus and Riley stayed home with Daddy and the grandpas! Yep--staying at home without Mommy!!!  It was a pretty fun afternoon--I got over 15 new baby outfits for Riley all at 90% off! In addition to that, I got a ton of other amazing deals! That evening Tracey came over to our house to see Riley for the first time since he was born. Riley was happy to meet "Auntie" Tracey! 

Meeting Tracey
Monday was Riley's first St. Patricks Day! For those of you who know me, know I LOVE holidays and reasons to celebrate, so I was super excited to dress Riley up in all green and celebrate his first holiday with him! Naturally, we took pictures!  I attempted to take a picture of all three of my babies....well, it's going to take some time to get a baby, a cat, AND a dog to look at the camera!! LOL! 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Snuggling with Mommy after a fun St. Patrick's Day!
The best I could get of my 3 babies! : )
This week Riley also met his Great Uncle Owen and Great Auntie Jan.  They just arrived back in Minnesota after being down south for the winter, so they stopped over on their way home! 

Great Uncle Owen
Great Auntie Jan
Friday was Riley's first doctor appointment! It was hard to believe two weeks had passed! Mike took off work so he could be there, too. I have to admit, I was a little nervous bringing him into a germy clinic! We tried to sit away from anyone else who could possibly be sick. We saw Dr. Magneson.  The nurse weighed and measured him.  He gained weight and surpassed his birth weight-- 10 lbs 2 oz! The doctor answered all of our questions and checked all of Riley's vitals, etc! He said everything looked really good and that Riley was a healthy and growing baby! That was music to my ears! Throughout my pregnancy, I tried SO SO hard to be super cautious and eat the right things and do the right things to make a healthy baby and it seems like that's what we got!  SO thankful!  Now very determined to continue to do whatever it takes to make my baby happy and healthy as he continues to grow and develop!  


After the doctor appointment, we stopped at Ottertail so Mike could show Riley off to his coworkers! Riley got his very own OTPCO visitor's badge!



Weight: 10 lbs 2 oz at his two week check-up!

Sleep:  Most nights Riley sleeps for 3 to 4 hours. He takes lots of naps during the day, too! 

Medical Issues:
  Riley had a little spout of diarrhea at the beginning of the week, but the doctor said it was nothing to be concerned over. The diarrhea caused some pretty nasty diaper rash.  I honestly think it hurt mommy more than Riley though.  You could tell it hurt him and I was so worried and just wanted to make it better for him. I gave Mike a list of ointments to bring home from Fergus.  What seemed to work best was the Aquafur ointment.  His butt is still a little red, but much better--in fact, Saturday morning it almost looked perfect!  He also gets lots of hiccups, but again--apparently a normal, non-concerning baby nuisance.  

Clothes:  I'm trying to dress Riley in his newborn clothes as much as possible, because they won't fit him long.

Visitors:  Grandpa Dave, Grandpa and Grandma Wetterling, Tracey, Owen, and Jan. We also had church members delivering us meals all week! What a nice thing for new parents! Expecting several more visitors next week!  The cards, phone calls, and visits from friends and family has been wonderful!  During important times like these, nothing means more than the love and support from those around you!

Diet:  3 oz every 2 hours when awake--goes a little longer at night--3oz every 3-4 hrs!

Baby Gear:  Still loving his swing and bouncy seat. Also loves to snuggle in his blankies! Riley sleeps in his swaddle sleep sacks each night! Mommy has presented various toys to him, but not overly interested.  He would rather look at Mommy and Daddy's face!

Crying: The diaper rash caused some pretty dramatic crying...more like screaming at times!!  Thankfully, that has improved!   He still cries during his sponge baths and sometimes while getting dressed.  Other than that, he is a happy baby!

Mommy and Daddy News:  Daddy went back to work this week.  Riley made him a special breakfast for his first day back at work! : ) However, Daddy just couldn't stay away and he took Thursday off, because he wanted to stay home with Riley and mommy!


Special breakfast for Daddy when he went back to work!

Mommy is feeling GREAT! I began working out again and it felt SO good! However, I think I overdid it a little, because after walking several miles on the treadmill for two days, I felt like an old lady and had a pretty bad backache. I guess I have to remind my brain that I had a baby and was cut open only 2 weeks ago! I suppose I should take it a little slower! I've also been crazily cold?! I don't know how many times I've asked Mike if our furnace is working--yes, it's heating fine. I think Mike has a good explanation--he says I've lost my layer of insulation...a.k.a my giant belly!   I guess he's right--losing 20 lbs in 2 weeks is kinda a shock to the system! I'm not complaining though-- I'll put on an extra sweater instead of carrying around all that extra weight!   Hoping I can lose the rest of my "baby weight" soon!  Overall, I have been happy with how quickly the scale is going down!  Yes, there is a little extra belly that wasn't there back in June, but who the heck cares?!  I have a precious, perfect BABY that caused those extra pounds!  I'm confident that once I am fully healed and can get back to normal workouts, I'll be able to get back to what I was before pregnancy!  : )  

One thing I need to work on is to remind myself that every little time Riley cries or when something goes wrong, it's not necessarily my fault! I've always been that person who wants to take care of everyone and please everyone. Well, that feeling is tenfold with my baby. When he had his diaper rash and was in pain, there were a couple times I stood at the changing table in tears myself, because I couldn't make it automatically better and I worried if I had done something wrong to cause the rash. Mommy guilt isn't fun.


Milestones:
Riley went to his 2 week doctor appointment! He hit 10 lbs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment