Saturday, March 15, 2014

One Week Old (March 8-15)

 One Week Old



We had a terrific first week with our little miracle! Mike took the entire week off, so we were both able to enjoy our little bundle of joy and get used to being a mommy and daddy. 

On Wednesday Jen and Madalyn came for a visit.  Wednesday evening Riley got to meet his Auntie Missy for the first time.  Dick, Linda, and Maggie also came over and we all had supper together.  

Meeting Auntie Missy

Maggie got to feed Riley!

Thursday we didn't have any visitors, but we had a busy day.  We gave Riley his first sponge bath.  He didn't really like this, but did better when Daddy held him and Mommy washed him.  Regardless, he looked super cute in his little ducky robe!  




After his bath, I dressed Riley in one of his cute newborn outfits that I received as a baby shower gift.  


He looked so adorable that I couldn't resist having a little photo shoot with him. (The first of many!)


The weather was beautiful on Thursday.  The temperature was in the 40s.  Because it was so nice, I thought it would be a good day for Riley's first outing.  I wish his first outing could have been to a better place, but it was very important to me to bring Riley to the cemetery to see Mom's grave.  I printed off one of the pictures I had taken that afternoon and put a favorite quote on it--it said, "If there ever comes a day when we can't be together… Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."  I framed this and tried to waterproof it as much as possible and placed it on Mom's stone.  It was an emotional trip, but a trip that I am very happy we took. Even though his Grandma Reanie won't be here with us, Riley will definitely know the wonderful person she was.



On Friday, our neighbors--the Rylanders--came to visit us!  I can just picture Riley and the Rylander boys playing together in a couple years!  I also took more pictures of Riley in his cute Tigger outfit!  




To round off Riley's first week, we went over to Grandma and Grandpa Wetterling's house to celebrate Grandpa Dick's birthday! All I can say is that Riley is one loved baby!  From the moment we walk in the door, people are practically fighting over who gets to hold him first!! : ) 

Riley and Grandpa Dick on Grandpa's birthday!

It was a great week and I fall more in love with my little guy each day!!


Weight:  9 lbs--he dropped 5oz since birth and that is apparently normal. Doctor said he will regain that weight in no time! 

Sleep:  Riley woke up about every 2 hours throughout his first couple nights at home.  However, Thursday night was awesome, because he slept for two-4 hour chunks of time!  This realistically meant that I only had to get up once in the middle of the night, because we officially went to bed around midnight (I slept on the couch a couple hours prior to that), he woke up around 4, and then it was already morning! Overall, I can't complain.  Yes, it is tiring to get up in the middle of the night, but I'm doing it for Riley, so there is no way I can complain.  I honestly feel much more rested than I did when I was pregnant! 

Medical Issues:  Riley's skin is still dry (as the nurse put it, an overdue baby is like a turkey that has been in the oven too long--it gets dried out!) but I keep putting lotion on and it seems to be getting better. He still has the bump on his head from the vacuume that was needed at birth, but the doctor reassured us that it will cause no harm and will go away with time.   

Clothes:  Well, newborn clothes will fit, BUT barely.  The newborn clothes fits about exact without much wiggle room.  The 0-3 month clothes is a little big, but he can definitely wear it.  When he stretches out, he fills out the length just fine.  

Visitors:  Grandpa Dave, Grandpa Dick and Grandma Linda, Auntie Jen, Maggie, Madalyn, Auntie Missy, and the Rylanders

Diet:  We have a big, growing boy who loves to eat.  We stuck with 2 ounces per feeding, but I'm thinking that will be bumped up soon!  He is ready to eat about every two hours. 

Baby Gear:  Riley has already tried out his swing, bouncy seat, pack and play, bassinet, and boppy pillow. Mommy has read some books to him, but he isn't overly enthused at this point! : )

Crying: Riley doesn't like his sponge baths, diaper changes, or getting dressed.  Other than that, he is a happy baby!

Mommy and Daddy News:  Daddy took the entire week off to be home with Mommy and Riley!  Mommy is thrilled to not be pregnant anymore!  Yes, the incision was very sore for the first few days--stabbing pain at times--but it is feeling MUCH better and I stopped taking pain medicine Thursday! It can be tiring getting up in the middle of the night, BUT I'm not nearly as tired as I was when I was pregnant!  AND I can bend and move around without feeling like I weigh a ton and half!!! 


Milestones:  Even though Riley is only a week old, he is doing a nice job of holding up his head and turning his head! 

No comments:

Post a Comment