Thursday, June 27, 2013

First of Many Sacrifices

Well, today was our scheduled lake day for our Wetterling Breezy Point vacation.  Several months ago, we decided that we would rent a pontoon and rent a jet ski for the day!  That was music to this girl's ears, because there are few things I like more than sunshine and time on the water.  There is NOTHING that could keep me from spending a day tooling around on a jet ski....oh, wait..WRONG!  Can a newly pregnant me ride on a jet ski?  Immediate response from people--sure, it's not like Mike is a crazy driver.  We are very safe on the jet ski and the chance of falling off is next to nothing. Perfect.  Well, then I started looking online.  Already at this point in my pregnancy, I know that the internet will probably be my best and worse resource---to many contrasting viewpoints on EVERYTHING!! Many of the sites I visited noted that doctors would probably not agree to a pregnant women riding a jet ski.  Many other blogs testified that as long as you drive carefully, riding a jet ski should be fine.  So, after all this online research, I sat on the couch in our cabin, nearly in tears...knowing how terribly bad I wanted to jet ski, but also knowing how terribly worried I am about the safety of the matter and knowing that I wasn't willing to risk anything.  We went back and forth several times.  Kyle and Mike were actually on their way to pick up the jet ski when I called Mike and told him to turn back.  Yes, I probably could have gone for a short ride and been fine.  But, for those of you who know me and my love for the lake--a short ride probably would not have satisfied me....AND spending hour upon hour on the jet ski probably would not have been a good idea, especially since it was a windy and wavy day.  Therefore, no jet ski rental! : (   At first I was really upset, but within not much time at all, I came to a huge realization.  Even though my baby was probably smaller than a grain of rice, I'm the mommy now and I have to protect the tiny thing.  Although I have not met this baby yet and can only imagine what it will be like, I take full responsibility for it's care and a fun day on a jet ski is certainly not more important than it.  There were going to be a lot of things I would have to change in my life now, but I do believe all things happen for a reason and if God decided I was supposed to be this baby's mommy and blessed me with a miracle growing inside me, than it is a responsibility I will take more serious than anything else in my life.  

Nonetheless, I did make the comment to Jen, Linda, and Missy that next summer when I am no longer pregnant, I will need a baby sitter for a full day....because I intend to ride jet ski to my heart's content!!

Although I didn't get to jet ski today, I did get to spend several hours on the pontoon and then spend a couple more hours at the beach, so it was still a pretty good day!







No comments:

Post a Comment