Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Shocking Day!

What a day!  Today I woke up at approximately 9:30.  Because we were planning to leave for Breezy Point and my period still hadn't started, I took a pregnancy test. I didn't really expect to be pregnant at all, but just basically took the pregnancy test to eliminate that possibility and to figure out if I needed to pack feminine products on vacation or not.  Within seconds, I started to see the two lines beginning to form--indicating pregnancy.  HOLY COW!  I sat on the toilet seat in our bathroom utterly stunned with a million things racing through my head at once. My heart was about pounding out of my chest and I'm pretty sure my mouth hung wide open. It was one of those moments when you realize just about everything in your life is about to change! Once my head stopped racing for a moment, my next thought--is it accurate??  Yes, the test showed two clear lines, but I surely wanted to hear it from a doctor!  I immediately called the Alex clinic--no appointments available!  Then I called the Ashby clinic--no appointments available.  I was getting frustrated.  Next I called Fergus--the receptionist was sassy and said that I really didn't need a blood test--that home pregnancy tests were very reliable these days.  Hello?  Did she not understand the reason I called??  I WANTED A BLOOD TEST TO VERIFY!!!  I insisted and she got me in.  

I got ready in a hurry and I texted Mike that I was coming into Fergus.  I always had planned to tell my husband about a pregnancy in a fun or romantic way, but when he asked why I was coming into Fergus, well, I was very blunt and I texted him the picture of the pregnancy test!


His response:  "Wow, crazy! That's awesome!!  I love you.  Are you coming into Fergus to go to the doctor or ???" 

I met him at Ottertail and he drove me to the doctor.  I was shook up and feeling scared and nervous!  It's not that I didn't want a baby or that I wouldn't be happy to be a mom, but I was just very overwhelmed and nervous about many things.  I had SO many questions!  At the doctor, they took the blood test and said they'd call with the results.  Knowing that if this pregnant thing was true, we'd have to tell the Wetterlings on vacation...there was no way I would be able to keep this secret from them throughout a week long vacation...I went to Walmart to buy baby picture albums.  I wanted to tell the family in a creative way, so I thought I'd take pictures of Bailey and Peaches with the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book and put them in an album.  After Walmart, Mike texted me and said he was taking the rest of the day off.  We ate at Subway and went home.   

As soon as I got home, I had my photo shoot with the pets!  




Then I had to finish packing for Breezy Point.  About 3:00 the clinic called back to verify that the blood test came back positive for pregnancy!  They rambled off a bunch of stuff, but according to them I was between 4 and 5 weeks along.  That actually seemed a bit far along from my records, but who knows?  At this point, it really sunk in and even more questions and worries formed. My first concern was if the drinks and diet pop I had the weekend prior at Moondance would hurt my baby.  Everyone that knows me knows that I do not drink very much at all, but when we were at Moondance, I had like three hard lemonades.  I started to cry.  I was SO worried that those would hurt this baby. I also drink Diet Coke and people are always hollering about how horrible that stuff is...will drinking that throughout the past 3 weeks hurt my baby?  I was basically freaking out and worrying my head off.  Nonetheless, this was apparently real and I tired to calm down and do one of my favorite things--take pictures! I see all these cute pregnancy progression pictures on Facebook and Pinterest....I figured I might as well take pictures to have a good starting point!



Nearly the entire drive down to Breezy Point, I read pregnancy books and articles.  I read about good diets and exercise and many other things.  I also read several articles that said drinks very early on would not hurt the baby.  I was a little more relieved then, but not entirely.  When I wasn't researching, I downloaded a baby names app and we thought about baby names.  A girl would be easy--H.R.W.  A boy??  No idea.  I also prepared to tell the Wetterlings the news!  My mind and body was a little less numb than earlier in the day, but still shocked.  About an hour after unloading at Breezy Point, I told the Wetterlings that I had some pictures to show them.  I handed Jen, Missy, and Linda the photo albums.  Missy reacted first, then Jen, then Linda. They were excited and raced to give us hugs!  Maggie was stunned. Dick and Kyle...well, they are guys....ha ha ha...they were also happy, but not as theatrical!  Linda sobbed!
Later that night when the rest of the family was playing games, I just relaxed (pretty sure I wasn't relaxed, but I pretended to be) on the couch and did more reading.  See, I normally feel like I have a pretty good grasp on things in life, but when it comes to pregnancy....jeepers...who the heck knows?!?  Therefore, I have a lot of learning to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment