Four Weeks Old
(March 29-April 5)
To begin Riley's fourth week, our family became official members of Alexandria Covenant Church! Mike and I have been going to this church since before we were married, but this year we finally completed the needed steps to "officially" become members. We were a little nervous about how Riley would act during this church service. For the past two weeks, he was perfect in church. However, this week we had to get to church early (to get our corsages and picture taken), which threw off Riley's schedule a little and then we had to get called up to the front of church during the membership induction. Riley started out fine. I gave him a little of his bottle early, hoping that would keep him content when we had to go stand in front. Well, about 20 minutes into church the new members were called to the front of church. Wouldn't you know it--Riley began to cry! It wasn't screaming or anything too dramatic and I'm sure it seemed WAY louder to me than to anyone else, but he did cry a little. After going back to sit down, he was once again quiet. I guess he just wanted to make it known that he was a new member too!
| Ready for church Sunday morning! |
Monday was a pretty lazy day at home. Riley and I cuddled a lot and didn't accomplish much else, but in my opinion cuddling my sweet baby is accomplishing the most important thing possible!
![]() |
| Cuddling my sweetheart! |
Tuesday Riley met a couple other important people--Steve and Ashley! Our oven actually went bazurk on Sunday. After looking at it, Mike found out there was a malfunction with the wiring in the back of the oven which caused it to continually blow fuses when being used . Steve said he would be able to fix it. Steve and Ashley (and their nieces) brought supper for us, Steve fixed the oven, everyone cuddled Riley, and we played some Kinect!
Tuesday was also April Fools Day! I've always been one who likes to play a few tricks on this day. Well , this year my sweet baby played a little trick on me! I had showered and actually dried my hair, trying to look presentable for the day. Well, within the hour of actually putting a little effort towards my appearance, Riley spit up ALL OVER ME! It was caked in my hair and dripped all over my shirt. It's hard to get grossed out when the spit comes from my little sweet pea, but it was really on the verge of being totally nasty!! ; p Happy April Fool's Day, Mommy!!
| Meeting Steve and Ashley |
Tuesday was also April Fools Day! I've always been one who likes to play a few tricks on this day. Well , this year my sweet baby played a little trick on me! I had showered and actually dried my hair, trying to look presentable for the day. Well, within the hour of actually putting a little effort towards my appearance, Riley spit up ALL OVER ME! It was caked in my hair and dripped all over my shirt. It's hard to get grossed out when the spit comes from my little sweet pea, but it was really on the verge of being totally nasty!! ; p Happy April Fool's Day, Mommy!!
Wednesday was dedicated to decorating the house for Easter and taking some adorable Easter pictures of Riley!! I LOVE how they turned out! I'm no photographer, but I try really hard to take nice pictures! I do this for two reasons: first, I just really like taking pictures and preserving memories. Second, even though I'd love to get professional pictures taken, I really hate to spend a lot of money on a photographer.
![]() |
| Can you get any more precious?!? |
Thursday Heidi Woodle stopped over to meet Riley! She brought lunch and a cute Easter basket that had treats for Riley and mommy! Riley got an adorable Easter outfit in his basket that says "I am egg-stra handsome"! It was fun catching up with Heidi!
| Meeting Heidi Woodle |
Friday was a super exciting day for us with lots of "firsts"! Riley and I got up in the morning and decided to go on one of our little visiting adventures. We began by surprising Grandma Linda at her work! She was pretty excited and so were her co-workers!!
After visiting Grandma, Riley and I took our first trip to the grocery store--Eldens! I was a little nervous going into a store all by myself with my little bundle of baby. Riley was also getting dangerously close to needing his bottle, so it was a nerve-wracking trip, BUT Riley did wonderfully! Mommy was way more nervous than I needed to be! There are so many new parenting things that seem like BIG deals now that one day I'm sure will seem like second nature. For example, I was SO terrified wondering if I put the carseat in the shopping cart correctly. Pretty sure I pushed the cart with one hand and held onto the carseat with the other hand, because I had this fear of him somehow falling out of the cart!! I also had a fear of running someone over with my cart or knocking over an entire display of something...I think parents should need to get drivers' license for driving a shopping cart with a carseat on top...it's hard to see over that carseat!! Anyways, all worries aside, we made it through the store just fine and Riley hardly cried at all. I must have been nervous, because I didn't even take a picture of Riley's first grocery shopping trip! Jeepers...I'm slipping!! ; )
Friday afternoon was also a big deal--probably more so for me than Riley or Daddy, but Friday afternoon Amanda came over to meet Riley for the first time. Rewind a little, Amanda is the lady who will be babysitting Riley when I go back to work in September.
![]() |
| Visiting Grandma at work! |
Friday afternoon was also a big deal--probably more so for me than Riley or Daddy, but Friday afternoon Amanda came over to meet Riley for the first time. Rewind a little, Amanda is the lady who will be babysitting Riley when I go back to work in September.
![]() |
| Meeting Amanda--Riley's future baby-sitter!! |
As I've mentioned before, my heart absolutely sinks thinking of leaving my sweet baby with someone other than me and going to work. Tears literally come to my eyes every time I think of it; however, I truly believe we found the absolute BEST possible person who could watch him! Amanda is so caring and it's plain to see that her entire family has good morals and are just wonderful people who will give Riley the best care and attention. I'm SO glad that he doesn't have to go to some large center and be one of ten other kids. I don't want him to go to a place where he only gets changed and fed...I want him to go to a place where he will be LOVED! It's going to be hard when September rolls around, but we've been blessed finding Amanda!
Speaking of daycare, Friday evening we got some sad news from my dad that MY prior daycare lady's husband passed away. That family remained family friends throughout my entire life, so Friday night we drove into Alex so Dad and I could go to the visitation service. After the service, we needed some supper, so we went to Perkins. This was Riley's first visit to a restaurant!!! Dad, Mike, Riley, and I met Jen, Kyle, Maggie, and Madalyn and we all had supper together!
Friday in the Echo Press the baby contest was published. My grandma insisted that we submit a picture of Riley for this contest! It was fun to see him in the paper again. Win or lose, no doubt in my mind who the most "personable baby" is!! : )
To complete Riley's fourth week, Saturday morning was a pretty lazy morning! Riley was up more than usual Friday overnight, so we all did some napping. However, Saturday afternoon we got more visitors. "Auntie" Tracey came over for a visit. Mike and Melissa also came over to meet Riley! It's always fun for someone new to meet our little Riley!
Speaking of daycare, Friday evening we got some sad news from my dad that MY prior daycare lady's husband passed away. That family remained family friends throughout my entire life, so Friday night we drove into Alex so Dad and I could go to the visitation service. After the service, we needed some supper, so we went to Perkins. This was Riley's first visit to a restaurant!!! Dad, Mike, Riley, and I met Jen, Kyle, Maggie, and Madalyn and we all had supper together!
![]() |
| Riley at Perkins! : ) |
![]() |
| Cousin Maggie watching over Riley at Perkins |
![]() |
| Riley and Grandpa kinda had matching shirts! |
To complete Riley's fourth week, Saturday morning was a pretty lazy morning! Riley was up more than usual Friday overnight, so we all did some napping. However, Saturday afternoon we got more visitors. "Auntie" Tracey came over for a visit. Mike and Melissa also came over to meet Riley! It's always fun for someone new to meet our little Riley!
![]() |
| Meeting Mike and Melissa |
Weight: 11.8 pounds
Sleep: At night he still sleeps between 2 and 3 hours. During the day, it's about 2 hours on the dot, unless he falls asleep during the time period. One night, he slept almost 4 hours--that was a nice surprise!
Medical Issues: The dry skin on his face improved a lot this week; however, it was replaced with a little red rash. I've read a lot about it and I guess it's pretty common and nothing to worry about and will go away on its own. I can tell that he gets some painful gas bubbles at times. We are using the gas drops, especially before bed.
Clothes: Some newborn clothes still works and some 3 months outfits also work! It's amazing how baby clothes sizing differs! I'm starting to wonder if the dressy Easter outfit we bought for him will fit or not-- fingers crossed!
Visitors: Steve & Ashley, Heidi Woodle, Amanda, Tracey, Mike & Melissa
Visited: We didn't make it to Tae Kwon Do or school this week due to visitors on Tuesday and the threat of snow on Thursday-- maybe next week! Riley visited Grandma at work, Eldens, and Perkins!
Diet: Riley is guzzling 4 oz bottles and they seem to be satisfying him!
Baby Gear: Best items right now seem to be his swing and bouncy seat!
Although I try hold him as much as possible, those items give me a little break...you know, when I need to use the bathroom or something! Lol! Mike is starting to worry that if I hold him too much or react to his crying too much that he'll get spoiled and want that all the time. Apparently people at his work warned him about that. Well, I honestly am not too worried at the moment. In my opinion, I am going to hold him and comfort him as much as I possibly can. He is only 4 weeks old and he needs all the love in the world and I want to give that to him. If I have to eat those words later, so be it--but I don't think I'll ever regret all the baby snuggles I get right now.
Crying: Some gas bubbles give him grief at times after feedings, but normally I can calm him down somewhat quickly. Sometimes he gets a bit upset when he's trying to poop...tough job for such a little guy! His grunting face is kinda funny though! Before he was born, I watched the movie "Happiest Baby on the Block" which goes over the 5S's--Swaddling, side position, shushing, swinging, and sucking--they really work! I found that the shushing especially tends to do the trick for my little guy--at least most of the time! : )
Mommy and Daddy News:
Not too much new here--just loving every minute of being a mommy and daddy! I am starting to plan an Easter celebration! We will be at the Wetterling's on Easter Sunday, but I am going to have my side over to our house that Saturday! It will be so much fun to celebrate Riley's first major holiday! I just love him SO much and can't get enough of the little guy! No doubt that being a mom is a lot of work, but I would never, ever go back to the day before him. I love song lyrics and there are SO many songs that I can now apply to Riley.
"Now you're here and everything's changing
Suddenly life means so much
I can't wait to wake up tomorrow
And find out this promise is true
I will never have to go back to
The day before you!"
Medical Issues: The dry skin on his face improved a lot this week; however, it was replaced with a little red rash. I've read a lot about it and I guess it's pretty common and nothing to worry about and will go away on its own. I can tell that he gets some painful gas bubbles at times. We are using the gas drops, especially before bed.
Clothes: Some newborn clothes still works and some 3 months outfits also work! It's amazing how baby clothes sizing differs! I'm starting to wonder if the dressy Easter outfit we bought for him will fit or not-- fingers crossed!
Visitors: Steve & Ashley, Heidi Woodle, Amanda, Tracey, Mike & Melissa
Visited: We didn't make it to Tae Kwon Do or school this week due to visitors on Tuesday and the threat of snow on Thursday-- maybe next week! Riley visited Grandma at work, Eldens, and Perkins!
Diet: Riley is guzzling 4 oz bottles and they seem to be satisfying him!
Baby Gear: Best items right now seem to be his swing and bouncy seat!
| Riley LOVES to swing! |
Although I try hold him as much as possible, those items give me a little break...you know, when I need to use the bathroom or something! Lol! Mike is starting to worry that if I hold him too much or react to his crying too much that he'll get spoiled and want that all the time. Apparently people at his work warned him about that. Well, I honestly am not too worried at the moment. In my opinion, I am going to hold him and comfort him as much as I possibly can. He is only 4 weeks old and he needs all the love in the world and I want to give that to him. If I have to eat those words later, so be it--but I don't think I'll ever regret all the baby snuggles I get right now.
Crying: Some gas bubbles give him grief at times after feedings, but normally I can calm him down somewhat quickly. Sometimes he gets a bit upset when he's trying to poop...tough job for such a little guy! His grunting face is kinda funny though! Before he was born, I watched the movie "Happiest Baby on the Block" which goes over the 5S's--Swaddling, side position, shushing, swinging, and sucking--they really work! I found that the shushing especially tends to do the trick for my little guy--at least most of the time! : )
Mommy and Daddy News:
Not too much new here--just loving every minute of being a mommy and daddy! I am starting to plan an Easter celebration! We will be at the Wetterling's on Easter Sunday, but I am going to have my side over to our house that Saturday! It will be so much fun to celebrate Riley's first major holiday! I just love him SO much and can't get enough of the little guy! No doubt that being a mom is a lot of work, but I would never, ever go back to the day before him. I love song lyrics and there are SO many songs that I can now apply to Riley.
Suddenly life means so much
I can't wait to wake up tomorrow
And find out this promise is true
I will never have to go back to
The day before you!"
Milestones: Continuing to raise and turn his head more! Following objects more each day! Making some new sounds and facial expressions--I swear he's getting close to a smile! He also has started pulling Mommy's hair with that firm grip of his! Ouch...not a big fan of that one!












No comments:
Post a Comment